Vacancy: Research Fellow
The New Zealand Initiative, New Zealand’s leading public policy think tank, is seeking an economist to join our research team. This position will suit a person with a strong interest in promoting market-based solutions for public policy. The full-time position is based in Wellington.
This position is new and will offer considerable scope for the successful candidate to contribute to The New Zealand Initiative’s research.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work with other Initiative researchers in evaluating the current areas of economic research. Current areas of interest are infrastructure, local government, regulation, social policy, fiscal policy, and education.
- Undertake research projects and write research reports.
- Contribute articles to Initiative publications.
- Communicate the research work to Initiative members, supporters, government and the general public through public presentations and speeches, media articles and interviews.
- Build relationships with universities, government and other stakeholders in New Zealand.
- Develop a collegial relationship with the team
Qualifications and Background
- Postgraduate degree in Economics.
- Strong publications and research record.
- Experience working in academia, business, government, volunteer sector or in think tanks.
- Strong interest in contributing to the debate around public policy issues.
- Strong communication skills.
- Good analysis and writing skills.
- An interest in building contacts in academia and government.
- A genuine interest and understanding of the philosophical direction of The New Zealand Initiative.
- Salary is senior level, competitive, and will be commensurate with experience - academic salaries would be a guide.
- Applications close on Monday 17 September 2018.
- Overseas applicants must be able to move to Wellington.
- Written applications only. Please include a cover letter addressing the position criteria, your CV and three referees.
- Send your application to Operations Director, Chelsy Blair - firstname.lastname@example.org